Here are a few of my favorite spots in Dallas, or you can always check out my Dallas bookmarks on Yelp. It’s my working to-do list.
EAST DALLAS / GREENVILLE AVENUE
- Cultivar Coffee & Good to Go Tacos – Tacos and coffee under the same roof. A perfect combination and a regular favorite.
- Company Cafe – A great patio on Lower Greenville, even better patio on the Katy Trail.
- Veritas Wine Bar – Cozy spot for a glass.
- Jimmy’s Food Store – Imported Italian wines and foodstuffs.
- White Rock Lake – Check out the monthly farmer’s market.
- The Green Spot – Organic food at a gas station
- Mudsmith Coffee – Great baked goods with a Texas hipster vibe.
- The Grape – Great mushroom soup and brunch.
Still to Visit: Goodfriend Beer Garden and Burger House
- FT33 – One of the best meals I’ve had in Dallas. Lived up to all the hype and then some.
- Meddlesome Moth – Try the rattlesnake. A little tequila with a thinly sliced jalapeño never hurt anyone…
- Ascenion Coffee – Love at first sip. Check out my review here.
- Pakpao Thai Food – Solid Thai food in a fun setting.
- Oddfellows – Try the Asian carnitas tacos and the Brooklyn lager fondue.
- Bolsa & Bolsa Mercado – This is been a favorite of mine for years, but my last two experiences were lackluster. Reserving judgment until after another visit.
- Emporium Pies – Open late(ish) for pie and coffee. Yum.
Still to Visit: Lucia, Driftwood, Lockhart Smokehouse
HIGHLAND PARK / UNIVERSITY PARK
- Nonna – Pasta, sausage, and limoncello are made in house. My favorite Italian in Dallas.
- Meadows Museum of Art at SMU – Unparalleled Spanish art in one small museum.
- Bubba’s – For when you need fried chicken and mashed potatoes.
- Shinsei – Great sushi.
- Rise No 1 – Souffles.
- Spoon Bar & Kitchen – If you like fish, this is your place. Oysters and caviar, butter poached lobster… I had the tasting menu when I went, and it qualifies as one of my best meals in Dallas.
- Mia’s – On Lemmon Ave. Not in my regular rotation, but a great place to bring out-of-towners for brisket tacos and queso.
KNOX HENDERSON / UPTOWN
- Cafe Madrid – Still the best sangria and my favorite Spanish food in town.
- Old Monk – Low key bar with solid bar food.
- Capitol Pub – Great patio, great bar, and great food. Even the salads.
- Hibiscus – Underrated. Get a cocktail. Grant Parker is often at the bar, and he makes the best Sazerac I’ve tasted to date.
- Sissy’s Southern Kitchen & Bar – Great fried chicken.
- The Sixth Floor Museum and the grassy knoll – A must see.
- Dallas Museum of Art – Now free admission.
- Nasher Sculpture Garden
- Meyerson Symphony
- Perot Museum of Nature and Science – Dallas’ hottest new museum. Worth a visit.
- Cedars Social – Some of the best cocktails in town with a great view of downtown and Reunion Tower.
- Tei An – Great soba noodles.
Still to Visit: CBD Provisions, Stephen Pyles
If you’re visiting or you just moved to Dallas, below are a few spots online to get you started.
- ILiveinDallas.com and my list of favorites in 2010, 20 Truly Local Dallas Favorites.
- Art & Seek, Arts, Music, & Culture for North Texas
- Dallas Observer’s Annual Best Of List
- D Magazine’s Side Dish blog