Can you guess which city this is just by looking at the photograph above?
I couldn’t until I visited it very recently. Here are a couple of hints to help you out…
- It’s one of the 50 largest metropolitan areas in the world and home to more than 4 million people.
- It’s located in the southern hemisphere in an area called the highveld, with an altitude higher than Denver, Colorado!
- The country where it’s located has 11 official languages, including Zulu, Xhosa, Afrikaans, and English.
- It’s well known for platinum and diamond mining and massive lightning storms.
- The city itself seems to have many nicknames, including Jozi and Joburg.
You can probably guess it by now, but just in case, see below for the answer.
The answer is Johannesburg, South Africa!
I recently came back from a trip to Johannesburg, which included safari near Kruger National Park, and I’m excited to share more photos and stories in the next couple of posts. Stay tuned!
Photos: Both by Nico Roets